Best way of hiding contraband?

PCGeek

May 15, 2020
Just started my journey in Starfield and I am going to try becoming a smuggler :) What's the best way to move stuff around and stay undetected when smuggling contraband?

Solution
There are multiple things you can do that we know about.
  1. You can store contraband on your outposts
  2. Sell it off with the Trade Authority. I think you can even buy back the same item you sold and have the item come back 'clean' or laundered :)
  3. Get a shielded cargo hold. I am not 100% sure how this works when scanned but the theory I think is that you need to mask the contraband with legit items to make it work effectively. There is also a shielded capacity for contraband and go beyond that it becomes less effective.
  4. Get Scan Jammer which should help masking the contraband. There are different types, some more effective than others like so:
  • Scan Jammer – Single-Frequency: 10% chance of avoiding scan...
  2. Sell it off with the Trade Authority. I think you can even buy back the same item you sold and have the item come back 'clean' or laundered :)
  3. Get a shielded cargo hold. I am not 100% sure how this works when scanned but the theory I think is that you need to mask the contraband with legit items to make it work effectively. There is also a shielded capacity for contraband and go beyond that it becomes less effective.
  4. Get Scan Jammer which should help masking the contraband. There are different types, some more effective than others like so:
  • Scan Jammer – Single-Frequency: 10% chance of avoiding scan
  • Scan Jammer – Dual-Frequency: 30% chance of avoiding scan
  • Scan Jammer – Multi-Frequency: 50% chance of avoiding scan
I think some of this is still being worked out as more hours are sunk into the game but this is the gist of it right now.

Reactions: Rush
Solution
Thanks for this. I wasn't sure about the shielded cargo.
  • Scan Jammer – Single-Frequency: 10% chance of avoiding scan
  • Scan Jammer – Dual-Frequency: 30% chance of avoiding scan
  • Scan Jammer – Multi-Frequency: 50% chance of avoiding scan
I think some of this is still being worked out as more hours are sunk into the game but this is the gist of it right now.