This is the official FAQ for Mass Effect 3 by Bioware.
Why is now the time for the series to have multiplayer?
- Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well.
- Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game – all out galactic war.
- We also feel that Mass Effect 3 has the combination of world class combat and progression systems that will make for a fun, addictive multiplayer experience.
Why only co-op? Why not a versus mode?
- We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3.
- The way we have designed co-op as a way to take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension to the premise of Mass Effect 3.
Why did you decide not to include it as part of the main campaign?
- Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.
- The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system is meant to complement that amazing game and we’re excited we can give it to our fans as a bonus for those who want to experience Mass Effect in different ways.
How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?
- BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, BioWare has a dedicated studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.
Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?
- Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions.
- In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.
Including Elcor and Hanar?
- …Never say never…
What if I don’t like multiplayer – will my experience be negatively impacted?
- Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer.
- The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.
What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?
- ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one.
- You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there.
- It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.
- We aren’t going into any specifics on numbers right now.
Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?
- We can’t comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.
Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?
Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?
- Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We’ll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.
Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?
- We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform.
- Each component will be able to affect a player’s “Galactic Readiness” level in a different way.
- Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional
When is the Resurgence Pack available?
- The Resurgence Pack is available on April 10th for Xbox 360 and PC worldwide. For PlayStation 3 owners the pack will be available on April 10th in North American and April 11th in Europe.
What exactly is included in the Resurgence Pack?
- Firebase Hydra and Firebase Condor are available to play on as soon as the Resurgence Pack is downloaded. The new weapons, characters, and equipment are available as rewards inside Reinforcement Packs.
How many new characters are there total?
- There is a new character for each class in the game, so 6 new characters to play as total. There are also new races introduced including the Geth and Batarians.
Does each new character come with new abilities?
- Yes the new characters will have their own unique abilities and loadouts.
What are Reinforcement Packs?
- Reinforcement Packs represent “supply drops” that players can earn for use in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer matches. In effect, each pack contains a random assortment of weapons and weapon upgrades, character unlocks, and in-game consumables such as damage and health boosts.
Are there different types of Reinforcement Packs?
- Yes, there are different levels of Reinforcement Packs. Some packs have a higher chance of containing rare or powerful unlocks.
Are the items and upgrades obtained through Reinforcement Packs permanent?
- Weapons, weapon mod and character unlocks/upgrades are permanent. Some contents are consumables that can only be used once per multiplayer match and don’t carry over into new multiplayer sessions. These are clearly labeled as such. Note that items obtained in the demo will not carry forward into the full game.
What are the chances of receiving a particular item or upgrade?
- There are common, uncommon, rare and ultra-rare items – items that are rare and/or powerful are differentiated visually when they are obtained upon opening a pack. The items included in each pack are selected at random. Higher value packs have a higher probability of selecting the most valuable items.
Can items found in Reinforcement Packs be used in single-player?
- No, the items and upgrades obtained in co-op multiplayer are separate from those in single-player.
Can Reinforcement Packs unlocked on one platform (Xbox 360, PC, PS3) be used on other platforms?
- No, once a pack is opened on a platform, it is considered “used.”
Do Reinforcement Packs earned in the multiplayer demo or carry over into the full game multiplayer mode?
- No, demo Reinforcement Packs and upgrades do not carry over to the full game.
I noticed that certain Mass Effect products include multiplayer DLC. What exactly is this?
- Certain official Mass Effect products include a serialized code that entitles users to Reinforcement Packs in multiplayer. These packs are randomized. Certain products contain specific items, such as the Collector Assault Rifle in the Art of the Mass Effect 3 Universe book. Please check with your local retailer for more information.
Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program and Multiplay Access
What is the early multiplayer access period?
- Multiplayer early access runs from February 14 until February 17. This early access period provides participants with the opportunity to be among the first to play the MP section of the demo. On February 17, the multiplayer section will open up to full public access. This early multiplayer access period is only available on Xbox 360 and PC.
How do I qualify for multiplayer early access?
- Players can qualify by fulfilling one of the following requirements:
- Join the Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program on http://www.facebook.com/masseffect, and successfully invite 1 friend to sign up for the program. When at least one of your invited friends joins the program and creates/links their EA Origin account, you will automatically be given access to the multiplayer section of the demo. There is no need to redeem a code – the early access privilege is automatically assigned to your EA Origin account (the one you have linked to the Recruitment Program).
- Redemption of the Battlefield 3 Online Pass (or PC serial code). This is also connected to an EA Origin account, and you should log in with this same account to gain access to the multiplayer section of the demo. There is no need to input any additional codes. Generally speaking, if you have been playing Battlefield 3 multiplayer online, you will automatically have access to the multiplayer section of the ME3 demo.
I can’t play multiplayer, but I believe I have fulfilled one or both of the requirements above.
- Qualification for early multiplayer access is linked to your EA Origin account. Therefore you will need to log into the Mass effect 3 demo with the same EA Origin account to play multiplayer.
- Example 1: You have redeemed the Battlefield 3 Online Pass. Doing to required you to log in with an EA Origin account. You must log into the demo with that same account to gain early access to the multiplayer section of the Mass Effect 3 demo.
- Example 2: You are participating in the Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program on facebook, and have linked an EA Origin account to the program. You must log into the demo with that same account to gain early access to the multiplayer section of the Mass Effect 3 demo.
How can I tell if I have early access unlocked when I start the demo?
- Multiplayer appears as a selection on the main menu. If you have early access, this menu item will be selectable and will take you into the multiplayer portion of the demo. If you do not have early access, this item on the menu will be grayed out and you will not be able to select it until it you qualify, or until full public access unlocks on February 17.
Why is Playstation 3 excluded from qualifying for early multiplayer access via the Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program?
- Unfortunately due to platform limitations we are unable to extend the Recruitment Program to Playstation 3 players. Creating benefits for our fans across all platforms is important to us and something we will continue to pursue. Thanks for your support and understanding. Note that PS3 owners who have redeemed their Battlefield 3 Online Pass (or PC serial code) do have early multiplayer access and are not excluded.
What is the Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program?
- The Mass Effect 3 Recruitment Program is a facebook application whereby users can invite their friends to join them in playing the ME3 demo when it goes live on Feb 14th. The program can be accessed at http://www.facebook.com/masseffect.
Which platforms are eligible to participate?
- The ME3 Recruitment Program is open to Xbox 360 and PC players. Unfortunately due to platform limitations we are unable to extend the program to Playstation 3 players. Creating benefits for our fans across all platforms is important to us and something we will continue to pursue. Thanks for your support and understanding. Note that PS3 owners who have redeemed their Battlefield 3 Online Pass (or PC serial code) do have early multiplayer access.
How do I sign up to participate in the Recruitment Program?
- To join the program and start recruiting friends into the war effort:
- Like the Mass Effect page at http://www.facebook.com/masseffect.
- Click on the Recruitment Program app link.
- Grant the app permission to access your profile as with other facebook apps.
- To track your progress and issue rewards, the application must be linked to an EA Origin account (follow the steps in the app itself). The app will include a link to create an EA Origin account if you don’t have one.
- Click on Recruit Friends to begin issuing invitations to your friends.
What happens if I recruit a friend and he joins the program?
- To qualify as a successful recruit, the friend you have invited must link an EA Origin account. Once that is done, both you and the friend you have invited will be granted early access to the multiplayer portion of the Mass Effect 3 demo (this is automatically granted to your Origin accounts, no code redemption needed). The early multiplayer access period runs from February 14 to February 17 (you can unlock access at any point during this timeframe).
- For each of these friends you have recruited , if they finish the single-player demo you will unlock one Reinforcement Pack in the main game launching March 6, 2012 (March 9 in EU). You can earn up to 5 reinforcement packs this way (no code redemption needed, these are automatically awarded to your EA Origin account).
If I successfully recruit a friend into the program which platform will I receive early multiplayer access on?
- The early access granted via the Recruitment Program is linked to your EA Origin Account. Once your EA Origin Account has been flagged, you will have early multiplayer access on Xbox 360 and on PC if you log in with that account.
In some cases, a user’s Xbox LIVE Gamertag may have become disassociated with their Origin Account. You will need to make sure that connection is established – once that is done, you will receive credit in the app (i.e. there is no need to re-play the demo).
- To verify if your Gamertag is connected to your EA Origin account:
- Visit this URL: https://www.ea.com/profile/
- Log in using the exact same account/email you used to Link your account in the app
- Under “Console Personas”, check to see that your correct Gamertag is listed and that you completed the demo while logged in with this Gamertag.
- You can also check the association on the BioWare Social Network (follow this link). Make sure you are using the same login you used for “Link Account” on the facebook app. Under “Profile”, choose “Your Registered Game Content”. At the top of the screen it will list the associated Gamertag. If it shows none, you will need to establish that connection.
- If you have determined that your Gamertag is not linked to your EA Origin account, you will need to contact EA Support to have them correct that. Visit https://help.ea.com/en/mass-effect/mass-effect-3 and click Talk to a Game Advisor. They will assist you with this fix.
When I click “Recruit”, some of my friends aren’t listed to send invites to.
- Any friends who are already enlisted or have invites pending from other players will not be displayed.
How much is the Extended Cut?
- The Extended Cut is available to download at no additional charge.
When does the Extended Cut release?
- The Extended Cut will release on June 26th on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 in North America and July 4th for PlayStation 3 in Europe.
How large is the Extended Cut?
- The Extended Cut requires roughly 1.9 gigabytes of storage.
How do I get the Extended Cut?
- The Extended Cut can be downloaded from Xbox LIVE, Origin on PC, and PlayStation Network at no additional cost.
What is included in the Extended Cut?
- The Extended Cut expands on the endings of Mass Effect 3 through additional scenes and epilogue sequences. It provides more of the answers and closure that players have been asking for. It gives a sense of what the future holds as a result of the decisions made throughout the series. And it shows greater detail in the successes or failures based on how players achieved their endings.
Does the Extended Cut change the endings?
- The Extended Cut is an expansion of the original endings to Mass Effect 3. It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions.
What save game should I load to play the Extended Cut?
- [SPOILERS] After completing Mass Effect 3, a ‘Legend’ save is created prior to assaulting the Cerberus Base. To experience the Extended Cut DLC, load this save game and play through to the end of the game. The Extended Cut endings will differ depending on choices made throughout the Mass Effect series, so multiple playthroughs with a variety of different decisions will be required to experience the variety of possibilities offered by the new content.
Where can I learn more about the Extended Cut?
- To learn more about the Extended Cut, please enjoy the Extended Cut interview podcast with Community Manager Jessica Merizan, Executive Producer Casey Hudson, and Lead Writer Mac Walters.
Will there be more Mass Effect DLC?
- More content is being planned and we will release information at a later date.