The information below will help you improve XCOM 2 performance and get the most out of the game.
Get rid of the annoying intro sequences
- Open the Steam Library
- Right Click on XCOM 2 and select properties
- Click the launch option button and enter -nostartupmovies
- Click OK and launch the game.
- Open the XCOM 2 configuration folder and find XcomEngine.ini (c:\users\yourname\My documents\my games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config\XcomEngine.ini )
- Make a backup of the file before making the changes below
- Find the following settings and make the following changes:
- Find bUseTextureStreaming and make sure it says “bUseTextureStreaming=True”.
- Find bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming and change it to “bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True”
- Find “MipFadeInSpeed0” and change it to “MipFadeInSpeed0=0”
- Find “MipFadeOutSpeed0” and change it to “MipFadeOutSpeed0=0”
- Find “MipFadeInSpeed1” and change it to “MipFadeInSpeed1=0”
- Find “MipFadeOutSpeed1” and change it to “MipFadeOutSpeed1=0”
- Find “PhysXGpuHeapSize” and change it to “PhysXGpuHeapSize=64”.
- Find “PhysXMeshCacheSize” and change it to “PhysXMeshCacheSize=16”.
- Find “bInitializeShadersOnDemand” and change it to “bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True”
- Find “DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks” and set it to “DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False”
- Find “UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization” and set it to “UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=False”
- Find “PoolSize” and set it to “PoolSize=X” (X depends on the amount of VRAM you have, 512MB, set it to 128, 1GB set it to 256, 2GB set it to 512, 3GB and higher set it to 768.)
- Find “bAllowMultiThreadedShaderCompile” and change it to “bAllowMultiThreadedShaderCompile=True”
- Find “ThreadedShaderCompileThreshold” and change it to “ThreadedShaderCompileThreshold=Y” (Where Y is the amount of PHYSICAL CPU-cores your CPU have.
- Find “OnlyStreamInTextures” and change it to “OnlyStreamInTextures=True”
This was the solution for the original XCOM and it also works for XCOM 2 and was provided by MGSD.
There’s a stack of settings that can be messed with in this file but you should try disabling anti-aliasing, depth of field and action camera too. These can be found in the in-game settings under Gameplay and Graphics.